Canada vs USMNT
2022-23 Concacaf Nations League Finals
June 18, 2023
Allegiant Stadium; Las Vegas, Nevada
Pre-game coverage: 8:30 pm ET on Paramount+, Univision and TUDN
Kickoff: 9:06 pm ET on Paramount+, Univision
Social Media: @USMNT On Twitter And Instagram; US Soccer on FacebookUS Soccer App
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Canada: 1-Matt Turner, 3-Walker Zimmerman, 4-Chris Richards, 5-Anthony Robinson, 6-Younes Musa, 7-Gio Reina, 10-Christian Pulisic (capt), 11-Brendan Aaronson, 19-Joe Scally, -Fowler Balogun, 21-Tim Weah
Substitutes: 13-Drake Callender, 18-Sean Johnson, 9-Ricciardo Pepi, 12-Miles Robinson, 14-Luca De La Torre, 15-Johnny Cardoso, 16-Alan Sonora, 17-Alex Zentezjas, 22-Taylor Booth, 23-Aston Trusty
Suspended: 2-Sergino Test, 8-Weston McKenney
Game tips | Five things to know about Canada
- USMND starting XI cap numbers (including this match): Christian Pulisic (60), Walker Zimmerman (41), Anthony Robinson (35), Brendan Aaronson (32), Tim Weah (31), Matt Turner (28), Yunus Musa ( 27), Gio Raina (20), Chris Richards (10), Joe Scally (6), Fowler Balogan (2)
- USMNT Starting XI Concacaf Nations League cap numbers (including this match): Christian Pulisic (9), Brendan Aaronson (7), Gio Reyna (6), Anthony Robinson (6), Younus Musa (5), Matt Turner (5), Tim Weah (4), Fowler Balogan (2), Chris Richards (2), Joe Scally (2), Walker Zimmerman (2)
USMND Starting XI Knockout Round Cap Numbers (including this match): Christian Pulisic (9), Matt Turner (6), Gio Reyna (5), Brendan Aaronson (4), Anthony Robinson (4), Tim Weah (4), Younes Musa (3), Walker Zimmerman (3), Fowler Balogan (2), Chris Richards (2), Joe Scally (2)
- With an average age of 23 years, 314 days, tonight’s starting XI is the youngest ever used by the USMNT in a tournament final, 24 years, 207 days since their 2021 Concacaf Nations League final victory over Mexico. 25th July 2021 (23 years, 280 days) Second youngest in the starting XI to start the Gold Cup quarter-final against Jamaica in a knockout round match.
- Averaged 26 caps in the lineup and 17 in official competition.
Nine in the USMNT starting XI are 25 and younger: Anthony Robinson (25), Christian Pulisic (24), Chris Richards and Tim Vee (23), Brendan Aaronson (22), Fowler Balogun (21), Yunus Musa, Gio Reyna and Joe Scally (20).
USMNT captain for 16Th Tonight, Christian Pulisic will play in his third final. After appearing alongside Pulisic in the 2021 CNL Final, Gio Reyna and Tim Weah make their second appearances tonight, as does Matt Turner, who scored in the 2021 Gold Cup Final.
Chris Richards and Walker Zimmerman are paired in central defense for the third time tonight. They have met twice before in World Cup qualifying — a 1-1 draw at Jamaica in Kingston on November 16, 2021 and a 1-0 win over El Salvador on January 27, 2022 in Columbus.
2017, 2019, 2021 Gold Cup Finals and 2021 and 2023 CONCACAF Nations League Finals: This is the USMNT’s fifth straight appearance in a CONCACAF final.
Golden Boot Watch: With four goals each, substitute striker Ricardo Pepi is tied with Canada’s Jonathan David for the 2022-23 CONCACAF Nations League Golden Boot lead. David has the tie-breaker over Peppy as he has collected both assists. USMNT forwards Christian Pulisic (3 goals, 2 assists) and Canada’s Cyle Laurin (3 goals, 1 assist) and Alphonso Davis (3 goals) sit just behind David and Pepi heading into tonight’s final.
If the game is tied at the end of regular time, two 15-minute extra periods are played. If the game is tied, the game will be decided by a penalty kick.
- The USA is 16-10-12 in the all-time series against Canada and 9-8-5 against. Red In competitive matches.
This will be the first meeting between the USA and Canada in the finals of the tournament and the third overall knockout round game between the two countries. The previous two meetings came in the semifinal stage of the Gold Cup, with the U.S. defeating Canada on penalty kicks in 2002 and a 2-1 win in 2007.
- Today’s match will be refereed by Martinez from Honduras. The USMNT is 5-0-2 in matches Martinez has refereed, including a 1-0 overtime victory over Mexico in the 2021 Gold Cup final at Allegiant Stadium.